Saturday, February 24, 2007

notes from the road pt. 06

11/08/06:

Everyone was so nice about my accident, I'll just say to you all: thanks. And luckily I am ok, not a scratch or a bruise or a bump on me. My friend Greg also escaped without harm. It was insane and scary and sudden and violent, and I really am so grateful that no one got hurt and that I escaped with my health (and limbs) intact.

To everyone who wants to know what happened, basically, I have been working like crazy, and last night (full moon, btw) we wrapped a commercial shoot I was directing for Microsoft (thanks Zane and Camille and Gia and Jake and Jovita and Antonio and Saxon and all my rad bros who came out to work on it - it was like a family affair and it was awesome!)

Anyway, we wrapped and I was driving over the 101, totally exhausted, and a car swerved into my lane and I tried to avoid it and my back tires got loose on me and we fishtailed. Instead of trying to correct it on the second sweep (it could have spun us out into traffic - bad scene) I just let it float. SO we were spinning down the freeway, toward the shoulder and when we were backwards, we hit the embankement and the car flipped and we ended up flying down the freeway upside down in a hail of broken glass.

When we stopped, everything went black. I came back immediately and made sure Greg was fine, we crawled out of the car. It was leaking gas everywhere, we grabbed our shit and waited to see what would happen, the car was in the traffic lane, spilling gasoline. We thought someone was going to hit it and turn the place into a Michael Bay set so we backed away and waited for the firemen to get there. They checked us out, the cops checked us out and we left with the tow truck, two very shaken up and VERY thankful guys.

funniest line of the night:

LAFD fireman: "You're smoking a cigarette"
Me: "Yeah, well I'm pretty freaked out right now"
LAFD fireman: "Right, but um.... you're covered in gasoline."
Me: "Oh. ...sorry."


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

and somehow, we made it out ok.

No comments: